Monday, June 28

Supporting Our Troops

I was brought up to have a respect and appreciation for our military. When I see someone in uniform, I often stop to thank them for the sacrifices they have made for our country. I realize that holidays like Memorial Day are much more than just a day off and a chance to get together with family. When I've known someone overseas personally, they have frequently been on my prayer list. However, it wasn't until my brother Ethan joined the Marines that it really hit home.

Currently, Ethan is an officer in the Marines, and he is stationed in Afghanistan. It wasn't until he sent letters home listing things his men would love to have and things that they need that I've realized how little I have ever done to show my appreciation for our troops. So many of those who go overseas never receive any letters or packages from family. My sister has started a facebook group dedicated to sending out letters, cards, and packages to our troops. If you join the group, she can give you information about how to adopt a service member. Many of us will say we appreciate and love our troops, but so few of us actually do something about it. If you would be interested in receiving a list of the most requested things from some troops, please email me, comment here, or join the facebook group.

As Americans, we have an opportunity to SHOW our troops how thankful we are for their service instead of just saying it. As Christians, this is an incredible opportunity to show Christ's love to those who may not know Him.

I would also like to say that it doesn't matter whether or not you agree with our current or past administrations about troop deployments. Regardless of whether or not you agree with our troops being in Iraq or Afghanistan, the fact is that they are there and they need the support of those of us here at home.

On a more personal note, Ethan turns 24 next Thursday (July 8) and will be spending his birthday in Afghanistan. It would be so awesome if he received more birthday cards than he ever has in his life.

His address is:
Ethan Akerberg
9th ESB 3rd MLG S-3
Unit 38432
FPO-AP 96604-8432
For now, I'll leave you with some pics of Ethan:
Showing his tougher side and his gentler side at the same time
Showing my brother-in-law that he means business :-)

Me and my brother - I love him :-)

Showing us how to work the guns

Being the good uncle and educating Josiah about the guns

Proud sisters of a US Marine (We're missing Faith)

The most recent pic of me and Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment